Its a story about a cellist (Daigo)who loses his job and must move back to his hometown. Once back there he reconnects with his past, and comes to terms with his life, love and dreams. Desperate to find a job, he answers an ad listed under departures, which turns out to be misspelled. It was supposed to say the departed, the job pertains to dressing, washing, and putting makeup on the deceased before the funeral. It is a job that most people look down upon because you earn money when someone dies. At first Daigo, does not like his job but little by little he comes to a new understanding of it. The process of prepping the corpse is shown in detail within the context of the story, and little by little we too as an audience get sucked in. it is an incredible ceremony to witness.
Last Friday, Dah. & I caught a show together. I do not actually know what I'm gonna watch or what the show is all about. We were just into the beginning part of the show when I turned to Dah. and asked if this was gonna be a horror show. To my relieve it's not. I can't freaking watch a horror movie cause it scare hell outta me.
I soon realised what the movie was gonna bring me through BUT I did not expect the scenes to be so real. Truth to be told, this show teared my wound and brought me back to 3 years ago. Perhaps it's because I've personally experienced it, I was a little taken aback.
You know, it's been years but to me it still feels like yesterday. The images are still so vivid in my head I get freak out sometimes.
They say time heal all wounds. But I say time only numb the wounds and when the numbness wear off , the pain is back.I guess I got too emotional, I was sobbing very hard at certain scenes.
Anyhow, it is a really good show. There are funny moments where you'll laugh your head off and there's the touching parts where you'll cry buckets. It's enriching too cause at the end of the day, I learnt how the Japanese handle the departures which is kinda different from ours.
This show left a huge impact on me and I thank Dah. for introducing it to me.